[BC] Counterpoise Ground System

Mark Earle mearle
Wed Sep 20 13:07:01 CDT 2006

>    Luckily, Portland, TN is near the county line, and they found a site,
> just off I-65, near the Robertson County/Sumner County Line. The site
> was zoned in Robertson County. Two towers were erected and the 5 mv/m
> barely covered the city of Portland, but the consultant engineer made it
> work.

NIMBY's. (Not In My Back Yard). No one now wants "ugly" towers. Yet let
a storm roll through (say, Rita or Katrina) and the ONLY thing working
between the gov't agencies, and the public, is broadcast Radio and TV.
Cell phones failed early-on, and are not a suitable broadcast medium
(now) anyhow.

The guys in New Orleans made a herculean effort to keep some of the AMs
going - so folks could know what was happening, in the area they had
evacuated.

Well, can't have it both ways. IF you want a local radio with local
people delivering breaking news, you gotta have towers.

--
mwe

      ) )
     ( (
      ) )    You will be assimilated... oooh, coffee!!
   _|****|
  ( |    |
   `|____|   mearle at mearle.com