[BC] Tape deck issue/cleaning solutions

Mark W. Croom markc
Wed Sep 20 09:13:17 CDT 2006

I have given up on Walgreens for 99% Isopropyl.

They might have the 90% stuff, which is OK but not ideal. I've had the best
luck finding small quantities of 99% at the smaller, locally owned phamacies.

Just my experience in the Midwest.

I don't think I've used a gallon of Isopropanol in my entire career put
together.

I think I'm going to try some of that ROR that was mentioned in another post.
That looks like pretty good stuff--their suggested uses page says it's useful
on VCR heads. That's where the alky with water in it just doesn't cut it at
all, leaving too much residue. Anything that works well on VCR heads will
work on just about any other metal tape path component, in my experience.

2 cents worth on Paul's cassette problem--Even a clean pinch roller can be
too hard to pull the tape correctly. They seem to get hard with age (and lots
of cleaning over time). Usually you can see this by watching the tape wander
a bit on the capstan when the machine is in play.

You may be able to get a little more life out of that pinch roller by gently
roughing up the surface with some sandpaper (cuts the hard glaze on the
surface). Make sure to clean it with your solvent again afterward.

Then order up a replacement pinch roller because you'll get far better
performance with the new one. The sandpaper method is a last resort, and yes,
it's possible to make the problem worse (I've done that, too). If you're
careful to work as evenly as possible as you go around the pinch roller, it
can improve things while you wait for the replacement part.

Mark
MN

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:00:24 -0700, Robert Reymont wrote