[BC] Tape deck issue/cleaning solutions

Hal Schardin Hal.Schardin
Tue Sep 19 13:43:20 CDT 2006

State Services used to purchase 8 oz. bottles of head cleaner for
about $7.00. I was able to get 16 oz. 99.9% isopropyl from a local
drug store for about $4.00 for 16 oz. The drug store was local; not
a big nationwide chain.
Since then, I've been buying gallon bottles of 99.9% isopropyl from
a physicians supply house for less than $12.00 per gallon.

Hal Schardin, CPBE
Minnesota Services for the Blind
651 642-0848
Hal.Schardin at STATE.MN.US

>>> sroffe at bcc.ctc.edu 9/19/2006 1:27:11 PM >>>
Some of the electronic supply houses have 99.9% isopropyl alcohol.
remember getting 99% at the drug store before, but, not now.

KBCS 91.3 FM
Sam Roffe
Engineering Director
(425) 564-5698
-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of
WFIFeng at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:24 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Tape deck issue/cleaning solutions

In a message dated 09/19/2006 09:58:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kzerocx at rapidcity.net writes:

> I have had very good luck with isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol),
which
has no
>  additives, unless you buy isopropyl rubbing alcohol, which as
stated
>  previously, is 30% water.  Isopropyl is also about the best
flux
remover I
>  have found.

When I can find it, I buy the 91% isopropyl. The stuff is
definitely one
of
the best electronics cleaning solvents for the buck! With only
about 9%
water,
it evaporates *very* quickly and cleanly. That tiny film of water
(which
is
pure) doesn't take long, either. Just a few seconds longer than
the
alcohol,
with a little breeze blowing on it.

They used to sell 32oz bottles of it at Stop & Shop. Then they
stopped.
They
also started putting "Sudafed" behind the counter. The whole thing
was a

mystery to me, until I found out that these are common ingredients
in
the
manufature of "Meth". Good grief. Now you can't get original
"Sudafed"
anymore, they
have something else. (I also heard that the original formula had
some
nasty
side-effects, so this makes sense.) Still, finding the 91% alcohol
has
become a
bit of a challenge. I've seen 12oz bottles at Walgreens, and
scarfed
them when I
can find them. I use a spray bottle to get it down into the nooks
and
crannies of circuit boards, and it really does a great job at
getting
the gunk out.
It even works on oily residues, etc. (But man, does it stink!
Highly
flammable,
too!)

I was able to resurrect my computer's printer by washing it with
hot
water,
then giving it a good dose of 91% isopropyl. That displaced the
water
and
rinsed away the rest of the gunk. I figured it this way: If this
makes
it worse, no
loss, as the thing wasn't working too well. I would just be tossing
it
anyway. If it fixes it, I've saved $89! Well, it worked great! The
thing
is like
new, and yes, I was quite pleasantly surprised. :)

Ah, yes- another thing that isopropyl is *very* good at removing:
Pen
ink.
Read: Graffiti. It also does a good job of removing "permanent"
magic
marker,
too, and printer ink from your hands.

Willie...
Cable-Connectors-Blocks-Racks-Wire Management-Test Gear-Tools and
More!
www.SystemsStore.com       Tel: 407-656-3719
Sales at SystemsStore.com