[BC] Tape deck issue/cleaning solutions

Sam Roffe sroffe
Tue Sep 19 13:27:38 CDT 2006

Some of the electronic supply houses have 99.9% isopropyl alcohol.  I
remember getting 99% at the drug store before, but, not now.

KBCS 91.3 FM
Sam Roffe
Engineering Director
(425) 564-5698
-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of WFIFeng at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:24 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Tape deck issue/cleaning solutions

In a message dated 09/19/2006 09:58:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kzerocx at rapidcity.net writes:

> I have had very good luck with isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol), which
has no
>  additives, unless you buy isopropyl rubbing alcohol, which as stated
>  previously, is 30% water.  Isopropyl is also about the best flux
remover I
>  have found.

When I can find it, I buy the 91% isopropyl. The stuff is definitely one
of
the best electronics cleaning solvents for the buck! With only about 9%
water,
it evaporates *very* quickly and cleanly. That tiny film of water (which
is
pure) doesn't take long, either. Just a few seconds longer than the
alcohol,
with a little breeze blowing on it.

They used to sell 32oz bottles of it at Stop & Shop. Then they stopped.
They
also started putting "Sudafed" behind the counter. The whole thing was a

mystery to me, until I found out that these are common ingredients in
the
manufature of "Meth". Good grief. Now you can't get original "Sudafed"
anymore, they
have something else. (I also heard that the original formula had some
nasty
side-effects, so this makes sense.) Still, finding the 91% alcohol has
become a
bit of a challenge. I've seen 12oz bottles at Walgreens, and scarfed
them when I
can find them. I use a spray bottle to get it down into the nooks and
crannies of circuit boards, and it really does a great job at getting
the gunk out.
It even works on oily residues, etc. (But man, does it stink! Highly
flammable,
too!)

I was able to resurrect my computer's printer by washing it with hot
water,
then giving it a good dose of 91% isopropyl. That displaced the water
and
rinsed away the rest of the gunk. I figured it this way: If this makes
it worse, no
loss, as the thing wasn't working too well. I would just be tossing it
anyway. If it fixes it, I've saved $89! Well, it worked great! The thing
is like
new, and yes, I was quite pleasantly surprised. :)

Ah, yes- another thing that isopropyl is *very* good at removing: Pen
ink.
Read: Graffiti. It also does a good job of removing "permanent" magic
marker,
too, and printer ink from your hands.

Willie...