[BC] Top Stations in NYC and LA are all Spanish

Mark Earle mearle
Mon Sep 18 21:37:16 CDT 2006

Bill Harms wrote:
> according to Drudge this evening (9/18), the top radio stations in
> New York City and Los Angeles are Spanish Stations.  A news article
> will purportedly follow later.
>
> Bill Harms
> Elkridge, Maryland

A continuing trend in many markets, Spanish stations ranking highly.
KLTN has been doing well since 1997 or so, in Houston. KLTN was the
first in-market, not-a-rimshot, Spanish language station. It's a full C,
1000', just about.. 1.8 or 2.2 miles east of downtown, on an EPA
monitored toxic waste site. Really. (Tower base is below grade by
several feet).

It was owned by.. shoot.. Tom Hicks was involved.. Evergreen.. no,
that's not it. Chancellor? Anyhow, it was purchased in the spring, sold
in the fall for a nice increase in price, and has been competitive from
day one. For quite a few books it beat out the perennial #1, KODA/ Sunny
99.1, which is now a CC station.

Sort of ironic that the owers of #1 sold the station that ended up
beating or equaling them for a long time.

Political soapbox: NY was the Melting Pot. Except, we stopped requiring
melting and haven't secured our borders. We don't require immigrants to
learn English and assimilate. So of course media in their language are
doing well. LA I would  suppose, is the West Coast Melting Pot, or was.

This trend will continue, due to our lack of policy - Spanish (and other
non-English) language speakers continue to enter America and make up a
higher and growing percentage of the occupants.

--
mwe

      ) )
     ( (
      ) )    You will be assimilated... oooh, coffee!!
   _|****|
  ( |    |
   `|____|   mearle at mearle.com