[BC] putting phone calls on the air

Gary Glaenzer gglaenzer
Mon Sep 18 11:44:31 CDT 2006

ah yes

we had 4-digit dialing when we got our phone (1958 ?) in Columbia, IL
(Monroe
County, just wouth of St. Louis on the IL side)

'Butler' (28) 1-3833 was the number, but we only had to dial the last four
digits
Red Bud was Butler 2
Dupo was Butler 6
Waterloo was 'Western' (93) 9
Valmeyer was Western 5

we were on a 'shared line' (not 'party') where ten subscribers' phones were
paralleled (if hookswitch was closed) across the CO battery, to ring, we had
'selective frequency' ringing, the CO had ringing generators of (memory is
dim here) 60, 55, 50, 45, and 40 cycles, and your phone had a frequency
selective ringer in it

5 phones on the shared line had ringer wired CO battery plus to ground and 5
had  ringer to CO battery minus to ground thru a honking big cap

back then there were only three area codes in IL

312 Chicago
618 roughly south of where I-70 runs today
309 everything in between