[BC] putting phone calls on the air

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Mon Sep 18 09:24:15 CDT 2006

I came from Almont Michigan.  The General System was also my phone company.
I recall they had just put in a step office but didnt have ANI (auto number
identification) so we had to give the operator our number when making long
distance calls.  Ahhh memories.  It also had 5 numer dialing

Paul Smith
W4KNX
Sarasota, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of Harold Hallikainen
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 9:10 AM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] putting phone calls on the air

Speaking of GTE, anyone remember the TV ads of the early 1970s where they
had a nervous GTE phone repair guy and the ad was something about they
recognize their reputation isn't that great, but they were working on
improving it? My first experience with GTE was also around then where I
was working at stations in Santa Maria, CA (where I now live). They had a
step exchange that absorbed the first two digits you dialed, so most
people only dialed the last five. It was real confusing when radio ads
gave 5 digit numbers for those people over the county line who had to dial
7 digits. 20 or 25 years later, I met Louise, who worked for GTE assigning
outside plant cable pairs and programming the switch for new and changed
service in Santa Barbara. We've now been married 11 years... Good things
came out of GTE!

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising