[BC] RE: Putting Calls on the Air

Harold Hallikainen harold
Mon Sep 18 07:47:53 CDT 2006

About 1970, the owner of the station I was at started a talk show ("What's
on your mind?" often called "What's on your Homer," since that was his
name). We did a tape delay by threading a 10 inch reel of tape through two
Tape A Thon machines in the production studio. The Gates Yard production
console was used for the program, feeding the first machine. The second
machine drove the on air board, a Sparta something or another. I built a
simple hybrid and bolted it to be bottom of a 5 line key phone. Took out
the interlocks between the buttons so moe than one line could be on at the
same time. Quite often, our congressman, Leon Panetta, would be on one
line from Washington, and listeners would talk with him on other lines as
we aired the program. Worked pretty well! Later, we tried a Sparta tape
delay that had a big drum that a loop of tape went around. When not used
as a tape delay, the heads could be reversed to give a short delay for a
reverb effect for the DJ voices.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising