[BC] putting phone calls on the air

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Sep 17 12:11:19 CDT 2006

------ At 12:35 PM 9/17/2006, Joseph M. Davis wrote: -------

>Dave, what a great story.  Thanks!  And newbies to the field wonder
>why Dr Johnny Fever was so frightened of "the phone cops" !!!!

Thank Tom Carter. His Carterphone was a device designed to allow
calls to be put on 2-way radios. In 1968 the courts ruled non Bell
devices could be connected to the system with a rented protective
coupler, known as the Carterphone decision. If that hadn't happened
I'd bet we'would have had rotary phones until every switch was fully
depreciated (read: crapped out).

It's interesting to note that his "Hush-A-Phone" caused problems with
Ma Bell. Both it and the Carterphone used acoustic couplers, not
direct connections. Ma Bell still complained. Carter won the case for
acoustic couplers in 1956. In 1976 companies could register equipment
that no longer required renting a coupler.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-454-3258