[BC] putting phone calls on the air

Art Reed areed21774
Sat Sep 16 17:56:00 CDT 2006

"Party Line" as discussed here before, was on the air from the mid
fifties until Ed King's death in the early 70's, probably 1972.  The
decision to paraphrase callers on the air was a deliberate one. The show
aired from 10pm-2am and had a soothing, bedtime quality to it.  Ed and
Wendy were both witty and erudite, and having callers on the air would
have completely destroyed the mood and intellectual level of the show.
As it was done, contributions to the show that were worthy made it on
the air, and those that were disruptive were never even hinted at.
Everyone went to bed listening to Party Line, and woke up to KDKA in
morning drive.

On the other hand, modern hybrid technology was definitely not available
at that time.  We took our news feeds over the phone, but the technology
used was the phone coupler, and the push-to-talk button in the handset.
That was in 1973.

Aristocart developed the Fone Box in 1980 or so, followed by the Telemix
series of products for multiline use, promoted by Allied.  Mark
Durenburger and Steve Church collaborated on that project, I believe.

The introduction of the Telos 10 in 1984, with its digital hybrid
technology really lit the fuse on the rocket that sent talk radio into
orbit.

Art Reed