[BC] Oh No another automation comparison question

JYRussell@academicplanet.com jyrussell
Thu Sep 14 10:06:10 CDT 2006

One thing to consider - some of the more expensive automation rigs let you
'take over'.  Take control on a sound-by-sound basis, and do 'real radio'.
Rather than just 'talk during the holes provided'.

If you grew up in radio with tapes and 45's and carts... you remember how
there is a bit of 'something' to the sound created by a real human starting
and stopping elements and spots and songs and that automation still doesn't
do without extraordinary amounts of pre-planning...  Being able to 'slip
cue' a song to a certain point, or time a pre-recorded element to an exact
spot, adds to the 'live' feeling, and, not all autmation systems will allow
it in real time, doubly so with the older one-in / one-out soundcards, or -
ugh - SoundBlasters.

  with a bit more 'horsepower' in your automation rig, though, you *can*
play everything from the format within the exact time frame, and the exact
manner needed by the consultants and PD and *still* not sound repetitive. It
is a lot more work than some are willing to put into it, it takes talent and
the passion to 'want to' be a real talent rather than 'an announcer'...
Being 'an announcer' is what works best with most automations systms,
though.   they are set up to play the stuff out while leaving you places to
talk.  Period.

  So, for my part.. when you are shopping for software/hardware... remember,
you generally get what you pay for.  A great freebie is 'Audacity'.

Don't expect 'Audacity', for example, to be a great on-air-live use program.
Sure it *can* edit sounds, but it's a bit - ah... - rudimentary. - for "real
radio".

  Yes,  I'm sure Audacity would handle all the stuff you need for a four
hour show with no problem... Make one big long soundfile... where you put
yourself a 10, 15, 30, 60 second blank space edited in at the appropriate
places to talk over... heck, you could even put in light fill music there
for your "live voiceover"... and that would be the same thing as many of the
'not for free' automation systems.

  Playing 4 or 6 different soundfiles out of three or 4 soundcards while
hold the song (or whatever) you backtimed into a network... really 'jazzing
up' what you've go on the air... is a bit beyond many of the less expensive
software - they still tend to choke.  Not enough inputs, or outputs, etc.
for 'real radio'.  Many softwares expect you to do your entire program out
of ONE POT.   Is that real radio??

  Be creative on the air.
   There will be folks who ask "why you would want to do this" when you
could/should have seen the PD and gotten permission and pre-edited all that
stuff...

   And I'll answer "because I can" or because that's the difference between
"real radio" and "liner card" radio... or the pre-recorded,
one-jock-serves-8 formats- satellite-radio.

   A good PD trains and finally trusts his talent.  They work together with
what each does well, and we get 'real radio.

Lesser PD's and consultants restrain their talent, all dayparts are made the
same, except morning drive, which is actually just prerecorded and played
back with metrics to follow...

   what job do you want your software to do??
  Buy the best that fits that need then.
Jason