[BC] Oh No another automation comparison question

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Wed Sep 13 16:33:10 CDT 2006

A lot of this is going to be dependent on personal taste.  For instance, I
am not impressed with systems that try to duplicate a set of cart machines.
I say: if we're going to replicate obsolete hardware, why not make it more
interesting?  Put pictures of a bunch of Magnecord PT-6's on the screen and
have the reels go around when a spot plays.

There is also an information loop you can get caught up in, where you start
by deciding what you want the system to do, then you get info on a few
systems, which then lets you know about some features that you didn't even
know existed, you start thinking about how/if these features can/should be
utilized at your facility, you get more info, etc., etc., until you get
tired of it all, throw a few names in a hat and pick one.

Maybe you just want the system to handle stop sets, and the jocks play CD's
direct-to-air.  Maybe you want everything on the system, and the jock just
temporarily stops the playout to do the weather, a contest, etc., and
restarts the system where it left off.

Maybe you want voice-tracking (even remote voice-tracking), or a totally
unattended operation.  Are you doing satellite, or downloading features off
the bird?

All these criteria are important when deciding on a system.  Unfortunately,
there is no one-size-fits-all system that is "the best."  "Best" is the one
that does what you want it to do.

Having said that, it should be easy to use, stable, and have good customer
support.