[BC] Part 15 LPAM Questions?

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Mon Sep 11 16:04:25 CDT 2006

In an effort to conserve bandwidth, this post contains two replies...

1) In a message dated 09/11/2006 1:18:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kc8gpd at hotmail.com writes:

>  I have also thought of using 13.560 in AM mode as an STL for a
>  multi site system. Use a Mono Pole on the TX and a Beam at each RX site.

Someone has already produced a commercial system which does exactly this.
They use FM on the STL frequency, though. (I don't know if they're still in
business or not. Found 'em on Google some time ago.) FM would be far better than
AM, due to it's greater immunity to noise & static.

The biggest problem with that frequency is that it is anything *but* quiet!
There are all kinds of machinery operating that work there, and "leak" some RF.
You also have skywave to factor-in... so even if you're in a rural area with
no industry for many miles, you'll still get "hit" from the skip.

It might be better to look into some kind of P15 wireless LAN devices.
(You'll want to make it "hack-proof" of course.)

2) In a message dated 09/11/2006 1:19:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rfry at adams.net writes:

>  Better to install a radial ground system that can capture the ground
>  currents where they originate, and provide a low-loss path back to the tx
>  system

WELL... (pun intended) that was what I was hoping to avoid. Ok, thanks for
the info. Looks like it ain't gonna happen. The well is only about 10' from my
house, and 5' from the property line. The neighbor's house is another 10' from
that. (Yeah, they pack 'em in pretty good 'round here.) It's only about 30'
from there to the street, and my driveway is "in the way", too, so a radial
system is totally out of the question. (My whole property is only 50' by 100',
BTW. I don't even have adequate space to properly hang a G5RV Ham antenna!)

I guess the only hope would be to see if I could get it located on top of a
big metal structure, like the water tanks at the top of the hill behind my
house. Good luck on *that* one. <:P Oh well. Another pipe dream gone bust.

Willie...