[BC] Part 15 LPAM Questions?

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Mon Sep 11 11:53:32 CDT 2006

In a message dated 09/11/2006 12:28:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rfry at adams.net writes:

> Changing the OD of the 9.84 foot vertical monopole in my earlier post to
>  25" reduces its Xc to 351 ohms.  This reduces coil losses, and also
reduces
>  the change in Xc versus a change in frequency, which means that the VSWR
>  bandwidth can be wider.

Fascinating! Ok, what about the "cage" idea? Suppose you used 8 copper pipes,
attached to "T" and 45 degree elbow fittings, making a ring approximately 2'
diameter, top & bottom. The total height of the "cage" being 9.84', to comply
with the P15 Rules. The question is whether or not the FCC would consider such
a device legal, and if so, how much improvement it would give over a whip, or
a single 1/2" pipe antenna.

What about using 1/2" copper strap for the loading coil? Wound in a spiral
for compactness, I would suspect that it's losses would not be too high.

Although I don't have the $1,000 for a Rangemaster, I am considering the
feasability of making a P15-compliant antenna and attaching it to the wellhead in
my yard. (That should be a *really* good ground: solid steel pipe, many dozens
of feet straight down to the water table.) If, someday, those funds ever do
become available, it would be interesting to see if it's even worth the hassle.
If it could cover ~1/2 mile with a useful signal, it just might be.

Willie...