[BC] LPFM s

Barry Mishkind barry
Mon Sep 11 10:45:34 CDT 2006

At 07:36 AM 9/11/2006, Mark Humphrey wrote
>when traveling in unfamiliar territory, it's increasingly
>difficult to determine the "real" location of FM stations by listening
>at the top-of-the hour, because so many move-ins have been assigned to
>obscure suburbs and "wide spots in the road", such as Krum, Sanger,
>Pilot Point, Flower Mound, and Benbrook.

         On an LPFM?  I'd say you are much more likely
         to see the local city name on billboards, highway
         signs, etc.

         Of course, what you say may well be true in some
         cases of full power stations. But just because the guy in
         the next car drives drunk, you  don't have to do so.

         What is the problem with "WXXX, small town - big city"
         at time/location the public could "expect?"

         Sure, the COL is often largely little more than a political
         fiction mostly of interest to those who seeking to
         insert yet another station in a large market.

         While it can be improved, it is the best
         we have right now. It doesn't take that long, and
         could be helpful.

         Frankly ... I'd settle for a "clear and understandable"
         ID at :50, than the evasiveness we often see now at
         the TOH.

>Those of you who have lived in Texas probably know the stations in
>these five communities are not small-market Class As -- instead, they
>are wide coverage facilities around Dallas-Fort Worth.  But the rest
>of us would need to figure that out by listening to the "non-legal"
>IDs!

         .. unless they are like so many stations that
         do NOT give an indication at all of the market
         ... perhaps with the exception of the EAS
         alerts for "Wacko County"

         I certainly would not say the "non-legal IDs"
         will help much during many satellite programs,
         for example.