[BC] Part 15 LPAM Question?

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Sun Sep 10 09:39:51 CDT 2006

It's a gray area. I've installed several part 15 statems in colleges. They all
pass FCC muster. In these cases the transmitter case was bolted to the
structual members of the building. What's the 'ground lead' there? The length
of the bolt (about 1/2 inch) or the four story gym?

Has anyone used an emitter or source follower in a Part 15 transmitter to
match the (very low) impedance of a short antenna? Yes, I know their gain is
slightly less then unity, but the coil losses in a large network might be
more.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "Richard Fry" <rfry at adams.net>
To: "Broadcast List" <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Subject: [BC] Part 15 LPAM Question?

>I'd put a 102 inch CB whip (with spring) atop the cabinet,
>and stick the whole thing 25 feet in the air (preferably 25 feet
>above a nice steel frame building that the mounting pole
>is lightning grounded to with a nice wide strap).
>No "ground lead" would be used.

But in reality, conductors such as the building frame and the nice wide
strap connected to the tx chassis by a low-Z path will become part of the
Part 15 AM radiator length along with the 102" whip, and likely will
radiate more field than the whip, itself.

So this system _would_ have a functional 25 foot ground lead, even if that
isn't recognized at first.

RF