[BC] Part 15 LPAM Question?

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Sat Sep 9 21:01:25 CDT 2006

You can find the schematics and they ARE comparable....

The 89 dollar kit is also available built for 160 bucks. It's also
synthesized.

Building an AM transmitter is not black art. Matching it to an antenna isn't
black art either.

If I owned one of these, I'd put the TX in a nice big metal box - along with a
T network using nice big silver wound coils and a vacuum variable cap (we all
know where to find this stuff for practically nothing, don't we ;)

I'd put a 102 inch CB whip (with spring) atop the cabinet, and stick the whole
thing 25 feet in the air (preferably 25 feet above a nice steel frame buiding
that the mounting pole is lightning grounded to with a nice wide strap).

No "ground lead" would be used.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: WFIFeng at aol.com
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Part 15 LPAM Question?

In a message dated 09/09/2006 3:52:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Robertm at broadcast.net writes:

> I am not that sure that these units are in the rangemaster league.
>  There is a certain amount of 'black art' when it comes to matching a
>  legal antenna. Without looking at the schematics or at least the PC
>  board, it is hard to state with authority that these units are equal to
>  a Rangemaster. The only way to determine this would be a head to head
>  shootout.

Plus, the Rangemaster is Type Approved and is designed to be legal
out-of-the-box. That's mostly what you're paying for. You know that if you set
it up
according to the manufacturer's guidelines, Uncle Charlie will give it the
green
light. (If only P15 FM permitted as useful a signal as this.)

I looked at the WEBsite for that $90 unit, and it looks like an all-day
project just to make that antenna... plus, you don't have a guarantee of
compliance. Still, $90 compared to $1,000?

Willie...