[BC] "Media Player" Sound Quality ?

Goran Tomas goran.tomas
Sat Sep 9 16:01:21 CDT 2006

--- At 9.9.2006 13:33, Rich Wood wrote: ---
>I think Mr. Howlett is misunderstanding Bob Dylan's complaint.
>Dylan's complaint doesn't seem to be with digital audio. I read it
>as a complaint against heavy processing in the mastering process to
>make it loud.

Yes, Dylan's clearly talking of "uniform loudness" problem. And it's
very sad that the chairman of Music Producers Guild is not only
clueless of the problem, but misunderstands it when told plain and simple...

>To me, that takes the musicality away. I studied piano privately at
>the New England Conservatory (can't play two notes that make sense
>now). I remember my teacher emphasizing the importance of dynamics
>and silence as critical parts of composition. Music 101.

Agreed. I think Rip Rown from ProRec.com transposed this excellently
to written form in his article "Over The Limit"
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C

Regards,
Goran Tomas