[BC] Part 15 LPAM Question?

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Fri Sep 8 19:18:43 CDT 2006

In a message dated 09/08/2006 3:12:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sbailey at nespower.com writes:

> Has anybody designing a LPAM Part 15 station looked into using one of
>  the Class C (old Class IV) local channels? I know most of the Part 15 AM
>  stations I see others build who maintain web sites usually pick a
>  channel in the 1610-1710 X-Band?

In most areas, the interference on the x-band is considerably less than in
the regular band. Because there are so few stations operating there, even at
night, you can still find a reasonably quiet channel for a P15'er. Unless you
only want to operate it during daytime hours, don't even bother putting it onto a
"graveyard" channel. You probaby wouldn't even get 100' of range at night!

Another reason for using the x-band is efficiency. Although less than 10' of
antenna doesn't even come close to a reasonable fraction of a wavelength on
MW, it is still more efficient at the top end of the band than anywhere lower.
Combine that with the much quieter frequencies, and you'll see why the x-band
is the runaway favorite for P15 AM. If I had the $1,000 to spare, I would get a
Rangemaster and plunk it there. IMHO, there really is no better place to
operate it.

Willie...