[BC] Covering the Unexpected

Bailey, Scott sbailey
Fri Sep 8 12:37:57 CDT 2006

My station is fully satellite automated. If it comes down to a need for
a board op, this is where family comes in.  My wife, brother in law, are
all trained to operate the board if needed. During emergency situations,
I just pot down the fader the satellite feed is on and get busy.
These days, sine systems and broadcast tools have come up with ways to
do live remotes without board ops. I've been doing it for years! Right
now, our high school football games are manned by me, but I hope next
year to automate that.
We use Digital Juke Box for automation. This software is so powerful;
you can automate almost any task that did take a board op.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Wade Giddens
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 12:22 PM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] Covering the Unexpected

This is a question aimed at small-market stations that run with small
staffs
and are automated much of the time.  How do you cover the unexpected or
infrequent events that require board operators or live local announcers
in
excess of your regular on-air staff?  Some examples would be hurricanes,

ball games, live remote broadcasts that are incompatible with satellite
automation, etc.  I am aware of how some stations do this with the use
of
local residents, some of whom used to work in radio full-time, as
part-time
or emergency fill-in people.  Is this something with which you have had
problems? Do you find it difficult to find people to fill these
occasional
slots?