[BC] LPFM's, now, reliable remote closures

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri Sep 8 06:20:14 CDT 2006

In a message dated 9/7/2006 8:19:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
craig1 at shianet.org writes:

If you  have ISDN the zephyr sends four closures in MPEG stereo mode.  I
used  it for the Michigan Talk / Sports Networks to NPR when we moved the
uplink  last fall.  Of course for RPU you can use 25/35 for three
different  closures and soon (when wireless Internet) is more available
you can  always VNC into your automation and run it  yourself.

As I recall, many years ago Mississippi Public Broadcasting installed
homemade digital storage devices with each of their FM station  transmitters. All
nine sites are programmed from one audio source.   Basically the station ID's
and locations were recorded on the units at each  transmitter site and mixed
with the audio.   When an ID is called for,  the network identifies from the main
studio, " ...'this is  Mississippi Public Radio....." with a music background
and a control tone in the  sub-audible area activates the ID at each
transmitter site.  It is mixed  with the network audio and sounds very good.   The ID
audio quality is  very good.

In the Olympics and World Cup  we used a Roland rack mounted digital  audio
storage system that was two units in a single rack unit.  We  used this to
identify our venue location, venue event and left channel and  right channel.   We
kept these units running for about 30 days.

Incidentally  the ID units built into the AEC commentary units we  used in
Greece  still had id's stored in memory from their use in the  Japanese World
Cup Soccer events two years earlier in ROM.

Dave Hultsman