[BC] LPFM's

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Tue Sep 5 22:41:54 CDT 2006

I supported LPFM for many reasons, the main one being the ownership limits.
Noncom frequencies have been COMPLETELY taken over by the religious guys. They
all run satellite programming on as many noncom frequencies as they can get.
At least with LPFM's the local  schools and colleges have a CHANCE of getting
a station against these guys. In the Boston area, there's a 15 kW noncom that
has no local studio, just an FCC waiver allowing their transmitter to be
controlled from California. Please explain how this benefits the local area??

Today I was driving through upstate New York listening to the noncom band. I
heard a station ID that took almost THREE MINUTES because there were so many
LOCAL noncoms involved! Please explain to me how THIS benefits the local
area???

The present noncom and translator rules are A JOKE!! At least the LPFM rules
level the playing field
....... a little......

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Alan Kline <akline at netins.net>
Subject: Re: [BC] LPFM's

------ At 06:59 PM 9/5/2006 -0500, The Most Honourable stanleybadams wrote:
-------

>I hope I do not come across as a real dink, but you know, I do not care if
>all the LPFM's fail nor many of the other stations who are nothing but
>satellite distributors.

Well, I hate to see honest, well-intentioned people lose an investment in
any endeavour, but I have a feeling we're going to see more of it here.

I opposed LPFM, and filed comments stating as much.  The Commission went
ahead with it anyway, and now we may be seeing the results.  Assuming that
there are really real, non-IBOC issues involved with the station that started
this thread, it may only be the first of many.  Schools are learning that
there's a lot involved, and the hobbyists may be getting a little tired.

Maybe a previous Commission wasn't so wrong after all, when they required
all of the 10-watt FM's to upgrade or go silent...

ak