[BC] A Question About AM Radio & AM Stereo....

radiofldude@aol.com radiofldude
Tue Sep 5 20:49:10 CDT 2006

Folks...

I've got a question or two about AM Radio...

I was about 2 football fields away from a 5,000 Watt/4 tower/Low Dial Position array for an AM station broadcasting in Stereo. Now, I know it's normal to get quite a bleedover and harmonics when you're that close.

However, is it normal to have the second harmonic light up and lock the stereo light on the radio? (Dave Golterman should remember this, it was in his car I heard this)

Secondly, while listening to this same station late one night.... I heard splatter on the adjacent channels 10khz to either side which was pretty strong. It was pretty quiet 20 Khz to either side. 30 Khz to the right on 690Khz I heard the CBC in French.

Now, what was odd.. is I got a clear signal of this station on 700Khz, 40 khz from their licensed frequnecy. I was at least 2 miles form the transmitter site.

Paul Walker
www.walkerbroadcasting.com