[BC] The problem with LPFM

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Tue Sep 5 12:06:55 CDT 2006

n 9/5/06, Larry Fuss <<mailto:lfuss2 at cox.net>lfuss2 at cox.net> wrote:

Too many LPFMs were started by people who had no clue what they
were doing.  They thought it would be "fun."  Few realized how
much work radio really is and the dedication involved in running
a successful station - LP or otherwise.  We shouldn't feel sad
when these stations go away.

Yes, I have seen this phenomenon in this area as well.  A lot of
people seem to think that just because the station is "Low Power"
means it it is low-cost as well.  Aside from the power bill, an LPFM
should have the same operating expenses as any other station, unless
it is run entirely by volunteers.  And that has its own set of drawbacks.