[BC] Top 40 is not always from "Billboard"

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky
Mon Sep 4 15:02:36 CDT 2006

When examining research data, it is extremely important
to 'consider the source' of that data. In the case of music,
was the data based on sales, airplay, club play or a
combination thereof? Billboard is nationwide, so a local
strong airplay/sales song may have minimal impact on the
overall sample. A student with an A grade and three D's
and two F's will still fail overall. That student may perform
very well in one subject but fail most others. Can he/she
be considered stupid?

Some examples: Here in CT there was a song by the group
Sonoma called "Love For You". A huge hit but never made
Billboard. Same for Cashman & West "King of Rock & Roll".
Songs that were popular in New Haven and Hartford, CT were
never aired in New York. There are no doubt countless others.
On Rhino's 'Super Hits of the 70's Hav A Nice Day' vol 3
there is a song by Punch called Fallin' Lady. I never heard of
it. It was a huge hit on KHJ, but unheard of back East.

Of course we must also which chart(s) a song has appeard on.
Then there are crossovers, etc.

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE