[BC] Re: PD's are timid

Barry Mishkind barry
Mon Sep 4 10:10:54 CDT 2006

At 08:06 PM 9/3/2006, Steve Newman wrote
>No..it's all about fragmentation like we've never seen. Music safety
>has been around as long as I can remember and that goes back to the
>60's. I know what you're saying but a business is a business is a
>business and it's always been that way. I truly believe it's how
>we're perceiving it and clustered groups have changed the face of
>radio and how we compete. Creativity is not appreciated. Experience
>doesn't seem to be a factor. So many things have gone OUT the window
>because THEY feel they had to go out the window. Nothing had to
>change save our perception and it would seem we've gone over the
>cliff in that regard.

         Steve,
         Let me re-frame your point a bit:  Have you
         ever eaten at an Olive Garden, Applebees,
         McDonalds, etc?

         Why do many people like these places?
         Not for the "exceptional food" ... but rather
         for being able to depend upon these places
         for a consistent level (in most cases) of food
         and service.

         It would seem that most PDs now figure
         that most listeners *want* a certain sort of radio.
         Not great radio, but sort of predictable.