[BC] Covers can be hits

Dennis Cope dcope
Mon Sep 4 10:04:35 CDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of Steve Newman

Jeff...what a lot of people have forgotten is there were songs that became
huge hits performed by artists who came from the late 40's and early 50's.
They were on the charts right along with Elvis, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry and
on and on. Researchers have forgotten those and relegated them to the "don't
play" category. Top-40 radio played those songs. Many, P.D.'s, too, have
forgotten them as well. Just pull out some Top-40 surveys from anywhere in
the country and you'll see what I'm talking about. That's why the playlist
can be extremely large and with the proper positioning it can work.

I did a covers show two weeks ago and got the most response from our
listeners ever.

I played the original then the cover then would take callers (live on the
air, with no delay (horrors))to vote on which one was the best (they liked).

It worked out so well I am going to do it again in a month or two.

Dennis
WESR, WCTG