[BC] FIRST LPFM BITES THE BUST

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Sep 3 21:20:08 CDT 2006

------ At 08:50 PM 9/3/2006, W4DTWR wrote: -------

>WELL   GOODBYE FROM LPFM WSHG FROM THE AIR WAVES AT THE END OF THIS
>SEASON HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAMES.   WE HAVE DECIDED TO TURN IN OUR
>LICENSE.  tHE FCC KNEW ABSOLUTELY WHAT IT WAS DOING WHEN THEY
>CREATED IBUZ.   IT WILL BE TOO EXPENSIVE FOR US TO CONTINUE.  AND
>THE FCC AND THE NAB KNEW THIS.   JUST WAIT A WHILE AND THEY WILL DISAPPEAR.

You're assuming IBUZ will be required. The stations in danger are the
AM stations being wiped off the dial. Since IBUZ won't be a factor in
any market for a decade or more I think you're being a little
premature. You still have a decade or more before you have to even
slightly concerned. Digital-only operation isn't going to happen. Too
many owners are not going to install the system. Analog only stations
still have a lot of life left.

>THE ONLY LPFM LEFT WILL BE THE PREACHER JESUS FUNDED ONES WITH
>PLENTY OF MONEY.  wE DO NOT FEEL IT WORTH WHILE TO FUND THE BIG
>EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURERS. WE WERE THE FIRSST SC LPFM ON THE AIR AND
>HAVE SERVED WELL FOR OUR ALMOST 6 YEARS AND NOW WE WILL BE THE FIRST
>TO SAY GOODBYE.  bIG MONEY WINS.

No one has won and no one will win besides the manufacturers for a
very long time, if ever. Who's making the decision to shut down? Is
there someone interfering with you? Are you sure it's not an economic
decision being made by someone who believes IBUZ will be a
requirement? It won't and it'll have no impact on your station. You
can continue operation just as you have for many years to come.

>wE ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE IBOC WHICH NOBODY REALLY WANTS BECAUSE THEY
>CANT HEAR THE QUALITY THATS OUT THERE NOW.  8 MORE WEEKS OF HS
>FOOTBALL GAMES AND GOODBYE.

Unless it's an economic decision I'd try and convince whoever is in
charge to reconsider their decision.

Rich