[BC] The future of broadcasting...

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Sep 3 18:48:39 CDT 2006

------ At 06:59 PM 9/3/2006, Barry Mishkind wrote: -------

>At 12:58 PM 9/3/2006, Robert Meuser wrote
>
>>I was speaking of sales  whores.
>
>         What a kindly way to invite
>         sales people to share with us....

I wish we had some sales people here. I keep asking where the $1.6
billion is going to come from when there are as many as 7000
additional stations when the IBUZ Revolution begins revolting.

I tried to get some economic opinions from the Economics Dept. at the
University of Massachusetts but the faculty hadn't returned. There
has to be an economic concept that covers the glutting of markets.
They're back next week. I'll call, again, to see what the odds are
that such a huge increase in competition can succeed without reducing
the value of existing inventory.

I suspect stations will have to resort to selling the main and
secondaries as packages to get the same rates the analog channel gets
now. Stations without secondaries and AM IBUZ stations will simply
lose much of their economic share of the market. Of course, that
assumes the secondaries are "real" radio stations capable generating
ratings. I seriously doubt any secondary treated as a second banana
will be able to do that. It'll take two stations to get the same
income we now get with one.

This all depends on there being as many IBUZ receivers in the hands
of listeners as there are analog. We won't have to worry about this
for a decade or so but planning for the hoped for success of IBUZ has
to be started now.

Rich