[BC] prayer request

Donna Halper dlh
Sat Sep 2 12:50:12 CDT 2006

I sent this to another list-serv, but I also wanted to send it to the
nice people on this one, where I have a number of cyber-friends.  I
know there are a number of sports fans on this list-serv, and some of
you may recall listening to sports late night on the radio, back when
it wasn't all syndicated talk shows.  Anyone remember hearing people
like Vin Scully and Phil Rizzuto and Herb Carneal and Mel Allen and
Harry Caray?  Those baseball broadcasters knew how to make you feel
as if you were sitting there at the game... I was just another kid
from a lower-middle class neighbourhood, and I didn't have money to
travel to distant cities, so I was grateful that my radio took me
there.  But I digress.

As some of you may know, the Red Sox just announced that 22 year old
rookie pitcher Jon Lester has been diagnosed with cancer-- and alas,
the kind he has is the kind that killed my mother, of blessed
memory.  We can only hope they caught it early, but for those who
believe in the power of prayer, please remember him in yours. Boston
Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy, whose daughter recovered from
cancer, writes about the Jon Lester story
here:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/09/02/this_news_hits_close_to_home?mode=PF