[BC] Tornado warnings

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Sat Sep 2 06:52:20 CDT 2006

In a message dated 9/1/2006 6:04:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
mrfixit at min.midco.net writes:

Same  thing here in North Dakota last week. A co-worker mentioned it, and  I
suggested that
NWS must be taking the "err on the side of caution"  route due to having few,
if any folks out
there to do the confirmation.  Must be the "hungry lawyers" syndrome.
Anything to keep 'em  at
bay.

**********************************

I think there may be a little envy at times between NWS and local TV,  when
TV stations have local NWS radar data plus oddles of software to  allow much
deeper analysis, and the overlapping of three or four radars using  the NWS data
for TV.  Plus many of the TV stations have their own Doppler  radars, which
in some cases may be closer to local weather cells.

In Birmingham, one station locally takes toi the air live with full  coverage
with tornado "speculation", with very sources, even to pin point area  maps
of warnings.  Its not so bad if that is your major  interest.  I like to have
the information that we are under a warning  but now all the other local
stations are beginning to start this "Follow  the other guy stuff"  and I find
myself turning away from broadcasting  since I can't get any entertainment from my
local networks, I am going to  satellite TV programs,  to escape the over
exposure to three hours of  continuous radar coverage which essentially is crying
out-----"wolf,  well  maybe".

JMHO

Its kind like full time election returns and projections, too much
information too long.

Dave