[BC] Selling anything on the air

First Step Productions - Dave Golterman thevoice
Sat Sep 2 05:58:52 CDT 2006

There have been several mentions on the list about sales staffs selling
everything from antenna pattern changes to sign offs.  I heard one this
week that I don't believe has been mentioned before.  Golden West
Broadcasting Ltd is putting CKRC-FM on the air at 103.5 in Weyburn,
Saskatchewan.  The transmitter is currently being tested and I have
heard a loop of oldies with an announcement between each song.  The
announcement goes something like this: "You're listening to test
transmissions from Weyburn's first hometown FM radio station.  Listen
close for more information.  This message has been brought to you by
(sponsor name) and (sponsor name).
My guess is each of the businesses listed have signed up for an
inaugural package on the new station and there are getting these as a
bonus.  There's no call to action or other commercial content...just the
business name mention.

Would the FCC allow this in the US?  I don't think the CRTC has a
problem since I'm pretty sure I have heard this type of thing before.
In fact I believe it was a few years ago when the same group put Sun
102.3 FM on the air just down the road in Estevan, Saskatchewan.

It seems to me that it could be a great marketing tool for the station.
People hitting scan in the area will lock onto the new signal and hear
the name of an advertiser and hopefully ask someone at the business what
they know about the new radio station since the announcements aren't
directing people to a station website or other location for
information.  I think it's probably creating a pretty good buzz in the
community.

Dave Golterman
First Step Productions
Plentywood, MT