[BC] re: Tornado Warnings & Traffic Reports

First Step Productions - Dave Golterman thevoice
Sat Sep 2 05:19:13 CDT 2006

I'll admit that listing counties in a storm watch or warning area can be
confusing at times.  I still remember my younger sister freaking out
when we were kids watching TV and a tornado was reported in Sheridan
County.  The only thing was we lived in Sheridan County, Montana and the
tornado was in Sheridan County, North Dakota which was about 250 miles
east...but try to explain that to a scared 9 year old.  I think though
that adults (especially anyone in the media) should be more aware of
geography.  How hard is it to familiarize yourself with a dozen or so
counties in a 100 mile radius of where you live?  If you're traveling,
carry a map that includes county names and boundaries.

Those of us in the media do have an obligation to provide clear and
concise information.  When providing storm updates, detailed
descriptions are a must.  For example: A tornado has touched down in
southern Smith County in the vicinity of State Highway 15 and US 91.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave Golterman
First Step Productions
Plentywood, MT