[BC] AFTRA Tells FCC That Consolidation Doing ''Irreparable Harm''

First Step Productions - Dave Golterman thevoice
Sat Sep 2 05:00:43 CDT 2006

I noticed the following on the net this morning.  What I'd like to know
is where were AFTRA leaders when consolidation was just getting
started.  It seems like they might be a few years late in speaking up.

======

"Consolidation of media ownership is doing irreparable harm to local and
national news coverage, and thus to the key fabric of democracy in our
country," said John Connolly, President of the American Federal Of
Television & Radio Artists at an FCC Town Hall Meeting in Los Angeles
conducted by FCC Commissioners Jonathan Adelstein and Michael Copps
yesterday.

"By allowing the reduction of outlets for diverse opinions via the
concentration of power in fewer and fewer corporate hands, the Federal
Communications Commission condemns Americans to a country where the
public interest suffers, democracy suffers, and working people suffer,"
said Connolly. "AFTRA members oppose the continued de-regulation of the
media and entertainment industries--and the resulting continued
concentration of ownership in fewer hands. We urge the commission to
protect and enhance the fundamental right and public interest of the
American people as true owners of the airwaves."

=====

Dave Golterman
First Step Productions
Plentywood, MT