[BC] Re: Tornado warnings

Mike McCarthy Towers
Fri Sep 1 22:31:15 CDT 2006

I happen to disagree with the latter two products you suggest. Most of the
F-3 or greater tornadoes in the past 5 years have been detected long before
they touched down. Often times the radar will see circulation forming
several minutes to maybe a 1/2 hour before the column of air touches the
ground.  In the case of larger tornadoes which exhibit F-3 thru F-5 wind
speeds, the circulation is detected 10-20 minutes before touchdown on a
fairly reliable basis.  Especially if the circulation is seen at all
elevations.  By splitting the call to action messages, you add confusion.

The only locations a tornado will form and potentially not be seen by radar
are:

At the very fringe of the Dopplar coverage (75 miles and beyond) where the
beam at base elevation is already several miles up and the pixel area
equals more than a square mile; and
where the terrain might shadow the radar, like a mountain valley shielded
by a ridge.

Tornadoes are also hard to detect within even Dopplar if they are what are
known as "heavy precipitation tornadoes".  This is where the twister is
surrounded by extremely heavy rain.  The 1990 Plainfield, IL. F5 twister
was one such tornado.  The twister was completely wrapped in a heavy rain
column masking it's rotation.  There is no known tape or film of the
twister except at it's very beginning as a funnel before it touched down.
It's that element of surprise which was the cause of all the deaths in the
area.

What makes them very hard to see on radar is the rotational speed data is
masked by the extremely heavy precipitation returns.  If there is a hail
column mixed in, the density of the precipitation return is even more
intense.  At anything more than 50 or so miles, it's extremely difficult to
see a heavy precipitation tornado by Dopplar.

In recent years, there have been 5 different wind events which have been
defined often mistaken as tornadoes, but are clearly not.  While the damage
those events create is the same, the supporting atmospheric dynamics are
all very different from tornadoes.

I'm a trained spotter of some 25 years, a member of the local AMS chapter,
and a long time net control operator for spotter nets.

MM

At 05:44 PM 9/1/2006 -0400, Kevin Webb wrote