[BC] Tornado warnings

Ernie Belanger armtx
Fri Sep 1 08:33:24 CDT 2006

There has long been confusion between Warnings and Watches.

Here is the OFFICIAL NOAA/NWS definition.

"When conditions are favorable for severe weather to develop, a severe
thunderstorm or tornado WATCH is issued. Weather Service personnel use
information from weather radar, spotters, and other sources to issue severe
thunderstorm and tornado WARNINGS for areas where severe weather is
imminent."

If you read the definition and understand it then you know that WARNINGS are
issued when a tornado is imminent.  That would mean that when the infamous
hook is spotted and most likely a tornado will spawn the WARN.

Based on your statement  if NOAA followed your criteria and waited until a
Tornado was  spotted that would mean waiting until lives were potentially
lost and damage was occurring.

NOAA has been chastised severely by Congress in the past for late warnings.
Which did not allow enough time for folks to seek shelter.

I don't know about you but when it comes to potentially saving lives I
rather they not Screw around waiting for the off chance someone spots a
tornado on the ground calls 911 then we have to wait to have someone
"official" come to see that yes indeed it is a tornado and not a prank
call..... while all that is going on people are most likely getting killed
or injured because they have not yet received a Warning of the danger which
may be bearing down upon them.

I too lived in the Mid West and I watched my share of Funnel clouds play
Yo-Yo without touching down. Each time there was a Warning issued and
rightfully so. It alerts folks of potential imminent danger.

I for one would rather be warned of potential danger that doesn't come
rather than having someone wait until a Tornado has touched down and I don't
have time to get myself or my family to safety.

By not immediately passing along the WARNINGS a station  or announcer is
playing Craps with peoples lives. Possibly their own family and friends
lives.

Hopefully no one will lose or ha lost their life or be critically injured
because a station or announcer chose not interrupt programming and  hedged
their bets that a Tornado or other event wouldn't  materialize.

Ernie