[BC] Can't solve it if you don't know about it

Rockwell Smith rockwell
Sun Jul 30 21:25:37 CDT 2006

> At 05:31 PM 7/30/2006, Rockwell Smith wrote
>>Actually, here's what works best where I am.......
>>
>>For those with e-mail, an e-mailed description of the problem.  This
>>starts a "paper trail" that can be followed up on, replied to, forwarded
>>if needed, etc.  It also creates a traceable date that it was reported.
>
>         A very good idea...
>
>         Do you use "generic" groups for notifying
>         completion (or ongoing issues)?

It depends on how many people were affected by the problem.  Lamps out on a
console usually get fixed with an hour or two of my reading the e-mail, and
don't generally get a follow-up.  A dead drive on a production computer may
generate e-mail to the entire staff when it finally gets fixed.

>>All of the above are for the non-catastrophe issues that can wait 12 or 24
>>hours (longer if a weekend).  The true emergencies still go to the cell
>>phone 24/7 as needed.  Fortunately, with good maintenance and back-up gear
>>those calls are now really few and far between ( Thankfully !).
>
>         Congrats to you on running
>         a good plant.

Thanks.  My wife appreciates it too -- Less calls to interupt sleep or a
weekend !

>>All employees, full or part time, have company e-mail, but....  many
>>cannot access it because they seem to get locked out of their accounts
>>because they forget their passwords.
>
>         Then you don't want to hear about the station
>         I was in last month where the login and password
>         (a lengthy line of letters and numbers) were
>         taped to the studio monitors???

The passwords for the studio internet machines and Vox-pro machines are
posted in the studios on the white-boards now after we had one down for most
of a morning show trying to locate a password.    (Shhhhh..   I didn't say
that !! )

>>To fill out a report, or a tag, you first have to find the paper to fill
>>out.  Seems to always not be available........

-- Rockwell