[BC] Identifying audio processors

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Fri Jul 28 11:17:58 CDT 2006

I can now tell if a station is using an Orban/CRL, or an Omnia,
vs an inexpensive Inovonics Processor on AM.

Scott
-----Original Message-----
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Steve Newman

Bob, I believe this comes from the fact it doesn't work. Wait, Rich
Wood says there are no known problems with IBUZ. At any rate, I
remember when the  first Orban hit the market. Stations, overnight,
sounded huge! I remember a  college buddy of mine saying (as he'd
tune the AM dial) that station has an Orban online. They worked. They
didn't crap all over the band. If it took 10 years to develop
something that isn't working properly I can see why some  feel as
they do. Hey, they took the R&D risk and if it's got problems
(and  apparently it does) fix them or take the hit and fold or move
on but don't  bilk people during the tinkering process. Is my thinking flawed?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Orban" <rorban at earthlink.net>

 > I keep hearing all of this talk about iBiquity's "greed," yet no
one seems to want to acknowledge the 10+ years of R&D that iBiquity
and its predecessors (USADR and Lucent) put into development of IBOC before
they saw a dime of cash flow. They risked a lot of capital on that
project, and I suspect that they are still far underwater financially
when one considers their total investment.