[BC] Jackson, MS market history

Bill Brister bbrister
Fri Jul 28 11:03:37 CDT 2006

Prior to 1964, 1590 was WOKJ and was a daytimer. They had signed on the air
as a daytimer in 1954. They went to their present 1kw DA-N in August 1964.
So for that 10 year period Jackson had a daytimer. I don't think there have
been any other daytimers in Jackson before or since that time period. Any
other daytimers would have been in the suburbs. In April 1965 the big swap
took place with WOKJ moving to 50kw on 1550 and the 1590 calls changed to
WWUN.

Recently 930 and 1300 in Jackson combined into a common antenna system. I
was curious if 1300 gained any of their coverage back from what they lost
when the self-supporter came down?

Bill Brister
Houston, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of DHultsman5 at aol.com
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 9:41 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] Jackson, MS market history

In a message dated 7/27/2006 2:20:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
lists at loudandclean.com writes:

   Then, our traffic lady was instructed to keep her radio
on WWUN all day every day, and report the first time she
heard 20/20 news.

Yes the WWUN,,,W-ONE,,  I believe J. Boyd put that facility on the
air.  Had a Collins 820-E 5 AM Transmitter  with the 12 Phase power
supply,  would really talk.

Jackson, MS  is a very unique market in that for many many years
there were no daytime only radio stations.   I believe that any
daytime only stations are licensed to surrounding cities such as
Clinton, Pearl and others.   I most cities,  there would be some full
timers and several daytimer.  But in Jackson all were full timers.

Dave