[BC] It wasn't the President this time.

JYRussell@academicplanet.com jyrussell
Fri Jul 28 08:23:43 CDT 2006

Well, I guess it makes sense... if it can be picked up on a scanner, in the
clear, etc.. it IS a public transmission... no telling who would take the TX
what way...

  I know there are the 7 dirty words, but, there is also that 'deceptive
transmission' stuff.
I think they can grab the CB'ers for that too... but it seems... they just
move around too much and of so little consequence they ain't worth
chasin'...  until they hit a Gigawatt or two..

   Being a'public broadcaster' in a fixed location just stacks things
against you a bit more, I suppose.
Jason
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Croghan" <loteng at lvradio.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:34 PM
Subject: RE: [BC] It wasn't the President this time.

I know of half a dozen fellow hams who monitor the RPU freqs used by
our local radio and TV stations on their scanners.  I monitor both the RPU
VHF freqs we use at all times in my home ham shack and on a scanner in my
truck.  The monitoring of other stations for competitive advantage is
common.  In Denver many years back, the News director and I used to play
recorded dummy packet transmissions, over the news departments 2 way just to
confuse the competition. Stations have been cited by the FCC for what goes
over the RPU even if not aired over the Broadcast facility.

Bill

Bill Croghan CPBE WB?KSW
Chief Engineer,
KOMP/KXPT/KENO/KBAD