[BC] Turning lemons into cherry cola

Robert Orban rorban
Thu Jul 27 20:43:30 CDT 2006

At 02:03 PM 7/27/2006, you wrote:
>From: "Mark Humphrey" <mark3xy at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Turning lemons into cherry cola (was: stamping
>         opinions)
>
>On 7/27/06, Jim Tonne <tonne at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > True but the greedy souls at Ibiquity are lining their pockets  *big time*
> > by "licensing" both transmitter manufacturers and receiver manufacturers.
> > I don't think that happend to such an extent with any of the AM stereo
> > systems.
>
>And way back in 1961 when FM stereo was approved, the FCC actually got
>involved and made sure the patent holders wouldn't overdose on greed.
>  I doubt they would ever consider taking such a stand today (since the
>Reagan administration set them in the "greed is good" direction)

I keep hearing all of this talk about iBiquity's "greed," yet no one seems
to want to acknowledge the 10+ years of R&D that iBiquity and its
predecessors (USADR and Lucent) put into development of IBOC before they
saw a dime of cash flow. They risked a lot of capital on that project, and
I suspect that they are still far underwater financially when one considers
their total investment.

Bob ORban