[BC] It wasn't the President this time.

Gary Zocolo ambrose
Thu Jul 27 15:26:21 CDT 2006

Back in my on air days...we had a radio enthusiast who knew what every
station was  doing down to the most minute detail. He would call the on air
jock, no matter who it was and just talk and talk and talk...and ask loads
of questions.....we had an uncomplimentary name for him....the radio
tard....One day the guy on remote started talking about "trt" to me over the
VHF RPU and wouldnt you know it...within a few minutes they guy showed up at
the remote wanting to know why we were calling him a tard. The guy on remote
did some fast talking to smooth it over.... I saw the same guy in news
footage at a fire talking about hearing about it on the scanner....I had
never seen him before that, but his voice was unmistakable.

Every mic has a listener or two....

Gary Zocolo
Nashville

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Croghan" <loteng at lvradio.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:45 PM
Subject: RE: [BC] It wasn't the President this time.

Scott,
Actually their reason for monitoring is varied.  Some are Broadcast
wanna be's.  Some enjoy the technical talk, Others have found as I have,
that what they hear on the TV ENG channels is often more interesting and
complete than the actual over the air reports.  I tune the traffic report
frequencies so I don't have to punch around to see what station is doing  it
live at the moment.  I know of very few complaints that resulted from RPU
listening.  In one case a long series of off color, racially prejudicial
jokes being told by the remote guy to the guy at the studio resulted in
fines, and in another, a client's brother heard the remote jock bad mouthing
the client to the board op between breaks.  That cost several thousand
dollars in cancellations.
One person's idea of life may be another's boredom, but that's
called freedom.  Remembering that all mics are potentially live at all
times, is just plain professionalism and common sense in this business.

Bill

Bill Croghan CPBE WB?KSW
Chief Engineer,
KOMP/KXPT/KENO/KBAD