[BC] It wasn't the President this time (digression)

gRAdy Moates lists
Thu Jul 27 14:20:13 CDT 2006

> The monitoring of other stations for competitive advantage is
> common.

    A Geezer with a story to tell is a dangerous thing.  Click
"delete" if you're not interested in this:

    I was PD of WRBC, "the BIG 13" in Jackson, MS back in 1971.
WJDX was the competition with bigger numbers (programmed by the
famous Bill Tanner), and there was an upstart in town, WWUN,
that had recently changed formats to go after the two of us.

    I did some research, and found out that the consultant for
WWUN was doing 20/20 news in most of his other markets.  My
wife and I spent the entire next weekend creating new music
format clocks to counter-program that.

    Then, our traffic lady was instructed to keep her radio
on WWUN all day every day, and report the first time she
heard 20/20 news.

    They started it at 3:20 PM on the next Thursday afternoon,
and we had both of their newscasts swept with triple-plays at
3:40 PM.

    The next book looked "berry berry good" for us.

Grady