[BC] It wasn't the President this time.

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32
Thu Jul 27 12:07:22 CDT 2006

On 7/27/06, Reader <reader at oldradio.com> wrote:

> Via Shoptalk:
> Apparently he missed the memo to consider all mics "open and live."
>

> By <http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1319629&secid=1>Andrew Wineke
> THE GAZETTE
>
> KRDO/Channel 13 meteorologist Matt Meister was suspended Wednesday
> after a live microphone caught him using obscenities.
>
> Meister had just done a weather update Tuesday night during a
> commercial break when his voice was heard over an episode of
> "According to Jim," an ABC sitcom, using foul language to complain
> about an earlier audio problem.
>
> Meister apologized for the incident during the station's 10 p.m.
> newscast and said he would accept the consequences of his actions.
>
> KRDO general manager Neil Klockziem read a statement on the station's
> 5:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. newscasts on Wednesday, saying Meister would be
> suspended while the incident is investigated. Former KRDO
> meteorologist Mark Nelson filled in for Meister on Wednesday.
>
> "His use of vulgar language even when he thought his mike was turned
> off was contrary to station policy and unacceptable," Klockziem said
> on the newscast. "He has been suspended without pay while we review
> the full details of what happened last evening."

> Do you have a BDR? http://www.oldradio.com/bdr.htm

I learned a LONG time ago, in a competetive market, to never say anything
near a microphone you wouldn't want broadcast over the evening news. Our
competition monitored our Marti remote channel on a scanner, and anything we
said, not only during remote breaks, but in between, was heard by them. As I
was doing Engineering for both stations, I learned to keep my mouth shut.

A lesson that's hard to master, as my mouth STILL gets me into trouble
occasionally  :)

--
JM