[BC] stamping opinions

Cornelius Gould cornelius
Thu Jul 27 09:37:11 CDT 2006

Rich Wood wrote:

> The clue that people are scared to death of this is the fact that
> several questions I've asked have gone unanswered. One: If you could,
> would you run AM IBUZ 24/7 right now. Two: where will the advertising
> money come from to support nearly 7000 new radio stations?

On your first point, Personally (not being involved with *any* AM HD
station installs...yet) I don't have an answer. Just watching with much
interest as folks who are "knee deep in it" report their findings...good
and bad.

As to your second point, I think it is going unanswered simply because,
as broadcast engineers, it is not our daily job to worry about how sales
is going to sell a format...new or existing.  We are here to make the
tech work.   To partially paraphrase a neat tee-shirt idea I read
earlier...no signal, no program, nothing to sell...  We make sure there
is a signal, and that there is the capability to put programming *on*
said signal so that others can make the programming, and sell it.

The "how will these extra stations be financially supported" question, I
think, is best asked on a Radio Management listserv, if there is such a
thing.  It is there you may get some answers!

-Just a thought
Cornelius Gould