[BC] The IBOC train wreck on 1090

PeterH5322 peterh5322
Thu Jul 27 01:52:21 CDT 2006

>The IBOC train wreck has happened. WBAL is being bothered by IBOC
>interference from a station on 1080 at 0145-0200 EDT 7/27/2006. I am
>not sure who on 1080 is running the IBOC, but I suspect WTIC because
>they are the strongest on the channel and it sounds like they are
>doing some testing. I am within WBAL's local coverage area at night.
>1070 is virtually wiped out.

WTIC and WBAL used to be time-sharers.

During NARBA, 1050 became 1080, and rather than keep KNX as a Class I-A
on 1080, 1080 was made into a U.S. Class I-B channel so that WTIC could
get off of WBAL's frequency. KNX was moved to 1070, instead, as a Class
I-B. Also helped KRLD, too.

You'll notice that a real effort was made to keep the +/- 10 kHz clears
farther apart than WBAL and WTIC are.

30 kHz between Charlotte and Richmond.

30 kHz between Baltimore and Philadelphia.

The biggest problem with +/- 10 kHz clears are New York's 660, 710, 770
and 880, and Chicago,s being 10 KHz higher, at 670, 720, 780 and 890.

Oh, and Cincinnati's 700 being considerably closer to WOR than WGN is.

Notice that CBS owns both 1080 clears.