[BC] Turning lemons into cherry cola (was: stamping opinions)

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Wed Jul 26 23:50:10 CDT 2006

Phil Alexander wrote:
> I've been saying this for several years, Robert. It is not a change of
> heart.  I also see the digital reality. Until IBOC fails, it is what
> we have, and all we will get.

Of course, there are viable alternatives which already exist, and which
are already in the marketplace in far greater numbers than IBOC.  For
example, RDS and SCA on FM, and as you probably expect I will mention,
C-Quam AM Stereo on AM.  On the receiver side, DSP with diversity
reception, noise blanking, and variable IF bandwidth can work wonders at
cleaning up the sound of analog radio.  And all of this can be done
without trashing up the band with interference and without killing TSL
with heavily artifacted low-bitrate digital audio (especially if we can
convince major-
market FM stations to turn down the clipping a notch or two).

So, by all means, stations should prepare for the future -- make
everything as "digitally clean" and linear as possible, from the
microphones to the towers... but instead of topping all that hard work off
by installing an IBOC exciter and transmitting a bunch of hash, dust off
that C-Quam exciter, tweak up your stereo Optimod, and crank out a killer
signal which thousands of your listeners can fully enjoy today, without
hurting those who can't.  Sure, when something better comes along, you'll
be ready for
it -- whether it is DRM, CAM-D, a majorly overhauled version of IBOC, or
something totally new.  But for now, take what you have today and give
your listeners a signal you can be proud of!

In other words, if God gives you lemons, why settle for lemonade when
you've got cherry cola in the fridge?