[BC] We do it because we can, not because it is right

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Wed Jul 26 15:13:51 CDT 2006

I have had in the past, preachers, ministers, etc. wanting to do talk
programs and take call from listeners. I flat tell them I won't do it!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Bill Croghan
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:02 PM
To: 'Broadcasters' Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [BC] We do it because we can, not because it is right

Bernie,
	They can refuse to release names until the next of kin are
notified, seal the records of juveniles, maintain certain records secure
save embarrassment etc.  If the release of a recording made of my voice
on a
911 tape brought extreme distress to me or my family, you can bet your
boots
I'd have a lawsuit going in a flash.  It seems to me that many states
have
wiretap rules about notifying people when their recorded voice is to be
put
on the air or released to others.  I wonder how this would apply to FCC
part
73.11206

Courtesy Harold H.

Sec.  73.1206   Broadcast of telephone conversations.

   Before recording a telephone conversation for broadcast, or
broadcasting
such a conversation simultaneously with its occurrence, a licensee shall
inform any party to the call of the licensee's intention to broadcast
the
conversation, except where such party is aware, or may be presumed to be
aware from the circumstances of the conversation, that it is being or
likely
will be broadcast. Such awareness is presumed to exist only when the
other
party to the call is associated with the station (such as employee or
part-time reporter), or where the other party originates the call and it
is
obvious that it is in connection with a program in which the station
customarily broadcasts telephone conversations.

   [ 35 FR 7733 , May 20, 1970]

	I'm a former newsman, but would not consider putting something
like
that on the air just for thrills.  If it had a legitimate part of the
news
story, maybe, but just for ratings, no way.
Bill