[BC] Digital vs new (was: stamping opinions)

John Buffaloe johnbuffaloe
Wed Jul 26 09:27:12 CDT 2006

The people I deal with on a day to day basis aren't the big groups, they're
the smaller operators choking over a $2000 exciter.  Almost every one of
them is under the impression that IBOC is going to be mandated, and they're
facing bankruptcy if it happens.  I'm guessing that some 75% of stations out
there aren't affiliated with a big name group owner, and they just don't
have the bucks to do a $125,000 conversion and installation.  I agree that
this should have been done in its own band, but it may well be that the
horse is out of the barn.

John A. Buffaloe
Bext Inc
888-239-8462 Toll Free
619-685-3919 Direct
901-628-6615 Cell
www.bext.com

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Dana Puopolo
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 8:53 AM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: [BC] Digital vs new (was: stamping opinions)

I think that the broadcasters want digital because DIGITAL meanns "new" to
the
average person, while analog means old.

Finally, let's get real. Radio's salvation isn't IBOC. Digital radio needs
go into its own band. TV was able to pull this off; now radio needs to do
the
same. The big consolidators should be using their bully pulpits to help make
this happen. The NAB should also 'get real' about IBOC and use their
considerable lobbying efforts to get Congress to do for digital radio what
it
did (succesfully and well) for digital television.  This CAN HAPPEN, but
only
if radio as a group and business wants it to, and works for it.

No, analog radio sin't dead. But  the patient is sick and needs tender
loving
care and nurturing. Let's help it get better instead of wasting our
resources
killing it faster with IBOC.

Comments?

-D