[BC] Making engineering pay

Rachel Ehrenberg ehrenberg
Mon Jul 24 23:00:26 CDT 2006

I have been reading this thread as I ponder the 2nd half century of my
life.  I know that I am now too old to be hired by most commercial (and
maybe non-commercial) broadcasters.
I had pondered starting my own consulting/contract firm (Dana will
probably remember that
idea)and now I am starting to think I'll just hang it up and do
something else, be it here in the states or overseas as I have dreamed
of doing.
I am not sure if I subscribe to the idea that we as engineers do an
excellent job of putting ourselves out of business or are just the
collateral damage of corporate mergers and the like.
    I just read where 47 at Citytv Vancouver were just laid off.   This
    on top of what CBC did with Master Control a few years ago.   And
    on
and on.
I hope young Paul Walker gets more education and experience in many
areas of the industry so that he will be versatile enough to survive.
Yeah I?m depressed.
   On the other hand, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different